On the Road
- 15 Jun 2020
- This 1957 novel is hailed as a literary classic and cultural landmark, but it's not something that I've enjoyed reading from start to finish.
- 28 Dec 2017
- Like any good allegory, this one is both ridiculous and relevant. Its story is bittersweetly ironic, considering the dual meaning of "revolution."
Go Set a Watchman
- 28 Jul 2015
- Two weeks have passed since the highly anticipated release of the follow-up to Harper Lee's masterpiece. This sequel is disappointing, but I can appreciate it as a reflection of the real world.
To Kill a Mockingbird and its sequel
- 6 Feb 2015
- The literary world got a proverbial shot in the arm with news of a second Harper Lee book. The book is a big deal because of Ms Lee's long, self-imposed retirement and because it's a sequel to her classic debut.
The Catcher in the Rye diamond jubilee
- 2 Sep 2014
- JD Salinger's masterpiece turned 60 this year. It was first published on July 16, 1951, but I waited until this time of year to celebrate everybody's favorite scholastic underachiever, Holden Caulfield. (Spoilers)