Wong Kar Wai double feature
- 15 Mar 2023
- These two movies are must-sees among the Hong Kong genre, although your enjoyment might vary.
A weekend remembered
- 31 May 2022
- I wasn't amazed, but I did expect to be entertained, and I was entertained. Besides the start of summer, these three properties signalled a return to pre-COVID times, in their own ways.
A weekend to remember
- 27 May 2022
- This weekend is something of a return to the Before Times. I plan to watch a binge-worthy show on Netflix, a surefire blockbuster in theaters, and a soccer final held in a full stadium.
- 24 Apr 2022
- The movie has inspired an attempted assassination of a president and countless "You talkin' to me?" impressions. Its protagonist straddles the thin lines separating villainy and heroism. Victimhood might be a factor, too. This post contains spoilers.
West Side Story (2021)
- 20 Dec 2021
- This movie is faithful to the musical, but its style is more contemporary and its context is more grounded. It might not be better than its cinematic predecessor. Regardless, it's a timeless story about love and fear, hope and hate.
Reprising Inside Llewyn Davis
- 24 Dec 2020
- The journey resonates as much now as it had six years ago, but these days, I tend to focus more on its production and performances.
The Big Lebowski
- 29 Jun 2020
- This movie has a cult following, both figuratively and literally. I'm not going to become a full-fledged Dudeist, but I have enjoyed watching the Dude's misadventure.
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
- 3 Jun 2020
- This 1964 movie directed by Jacques Demy is sung in French, but its appeal is universal.
Lonely Hearts Club 2020
- 18 Feb 2020
- Some unexpected, and mostly positive, things in the world of entertainment have made this Valentine's Day weekend somewhat noteworthy.
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- 1 Sep 2019
- Quentin Tarantino's latest movie is the film equivalent of Don MacLean's "American Pie." It revolves around a well-known and tragic event that, in the eyes of the creator, has marked the end of a special era.