- 7 Dec 2021
- This mini-series is less regarded than its spiritual predecessor, Band of Brothers. Its story is less cohesive, but its unflinching depiction of a long and bitter war sets it apart.
Killing Osama bin Laden
- 2 May 2021
- The most infamous terrorist of the 21st century was killed 10 years ago.
Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- 6 Aug 2020
- On this day 75 years ago, an atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. Three days later, another one was dropped on Nagasaki, Japan. The end of the Second World War followed.
- 6 Jun 2019
- On this day 75 years ago, Normandy became a household name.
The Deer Hunter
- 30 May 2016
- The 1979 Oscar winner for Best Picture is epic and, surprisingly, understated.
- 16 May 2016
- Thirty years after its release, this movie has proven to be both an effective recruiting tool and an enduring cultural icon.
- 11 Jul 2015
- Today is the 20th anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre. Bosnian Serb forces systematically killed over 7,000 Bosnian Muslim males. The incident is viewed along sectarian lines and is still contentious in the region.
- 2 Jul 2015
- This biopic does enough to stand out in a genre that's getting tired. Like the non-fiction book, the movie follows Chris Kyle while he thrives as a Navy SEAL at war and then as he struggles as a family man at home.
- 8 May 2015
- To celebrate Allied victory in Europe, I rank the movies that I've seen in which Nazis are the antagonists.
Last Days in Vietnam
- 30 Apr 2015
- A high-profile documentary and somewhat-overshadowed anniversary has given me a chance to reflect on a historically and personally important event.